Teeth that are compromised by decay, fractures, or other problems can affect the health and appearance of your smile. Fortunately, dental crowns provided by Smile Designer of Leesburg in Leesburg, VA, can restore and strengthen teeth while enhancing the aesthetics of your smile. Dr. Daniel Han, Dr. Sooyeon Ahn, and Dr. Dan Adams can help determine the most appropriate treatment for your unique needs. In many cases, we can provide same-day custom crowns using our advanced in-house technology.
Benefits of a Dental Crown
A dental crown offers a number of benefits. Primarily, it protects a tooth that has lost a significant amount of tissue as a result of decay or trauma. A dental crown can also:
- Protect a tooth after root canal therapy
- Replace a lost tooth in conjunction with a dental implant
- Reinforce a weakened tooth
- Alter the shape, size, and color of a tooth for cosmetic purposes
- Balance or align your bite
Crowns are often necessary to restore teeth following a root canal. Your dentist may place a special post within the tooth for further reinforcement.
Am I a Candidate?
To find out if you are a candidate for a dental crown, an oral assessment must be performed by your dentist. In addition to a visual evaluation, scans and x-rays will also be taken. These allow your doctor to determine the severity of the problem and decide if a crown may be appropriate for you. He or she will also discuss your aesthetic goals in detail so we can deliver the results you desire.
Because each individual is unique, every treatment plan is tailored to the specific needs of the patient. Your crown will be custom-designed to blend seamlessly with your smile.
If you suspect you may need a dental crown, it is best to schedule an appointment in a timely manner. Unchecked dental problems may become more involved (and more expensive) as time goes by. In some cases, the difference between saving a tooth and losing a tooth is just a few months.
What to Expect during Treatment
A crown is a common treatment made more effective and natural-looking thanks to our exceptional training and advanced in-office technology. At Smile Designer of Leesburg, we use CEREC® technology, which allows us to craft same-day crowns for qualifying patients. Here is what you can expect if you need a dental crown:
- First, local anesthesia is administered to numb the tissues and keep you comfortable. We also offer sedation for those suffering from dental anxiety, or those who have difficulty sitting comfortably for long periods due to arthritis or another condition.
- Next, the affected tooth is altered in preparation for the crown. This involves some removal of the natural tooth structure. Any decay will also be removed during this step.
- After the tooth has been prepared, digital impressions are taken and uploaded to our CEREC device.
- Computerized milling tools carve your custom restoration from a solid block of ceramic.
- Your dentist bonds the new crown in place using dental cement.
- Any final adjustments needed to help you achieve a comfortable bite will be made before you leave our office.
Contact Smile Designer of Leesburg Today
At our practice, we offer both traditional and implant-supported crowns. To find out if you qualify for this treatment, schedule a consultation with one of our doctors. We can design a personalized treatment plan to keep your smile looking and feeling great for years to come. Contact us online or call (703) 777-1162.