Our Leesburg, VA, office has been helping patients rebuild their smiles with natural-looking dentures for over 35 years. Dr. Daniel Han has specialty training in Periodontics/Implantology and Periodontal Prostheses, making him uniquely qualified to offer our patients hybrid dentures. These dentures are attached to the jaw using dental implants, which are prosthetic tooth roots. This treatment option is available for patients who have lost most or all of their teeth, and desire the ultimate stability for dentures.
Implants give dentures the ultimate foundation. Because they are attached directly to the jaw, they keep your dentures in place at all times, just like natural teeth. In addition, hybrid dentures can:
- Eliminate time and hassle associated with denture adhesives.
- Reduce painful irritation associated with traditional dentures.
- Improve bite strength, opening up more diet and food options.
- Prevent jaw atrophy (shrinkage), a natural side effect of tooth loss. This means you will require far fewer denture adjustments, and you can avoid the sunken appearance that eventually follows tooth loss.
Dr. Daniel Han has specialty training in Periodontics/Implantology and Periodontal Prostheses, making him uniquely qualified to offer our patients hybrid dentures.
Dr. Han will provide a thorough examination, including a discussion of your health history, to determine if this treatment plan is right for you. Generally, patients must be in overall good physical and oral health. Candidates must also:
- Be willing to stop smoking for a period before and after implant placement. For the best results, you should drop the habit permanently.
- Have sufficient jawbone tissue. Implants need plenty of bone tissue for support. If you have been missing teeth for a long time, you may need a bone graft or sinus lift before you can receive implants.
Placing Hybrid Dentures
Local anesthesia will be administered throughout the procedure to ensure minimal discomfort. Additionally, Dr. Han can provide sedation to help anxious patients relax throughout treatment. Our state-of-the-art technology includes 3-D CT scanners and digital x-rays that can provide highly detailed images of your jaw to help plan an implant placement strategy.
In general, placing hybrid dentures involves four basic steps:
- The first step is to place dental implants in the jaw. The gums will be incised and Dr. Han will create pilot holes in the bone tissue. Next, the implants are inserted and the gums are sutured closed.
- Your body undergoes a biological process called osseointegration in which the implants fuse with your bone tissue. This can take about four to six months.
- When osseointegration is complete, abutments are attached to the implants. These connecting devices secure your denture to the implants. The gums will be sutured in a way that leaves the abutments exposed above the gumline.
- Once the dentures have been custom-made for you in a dental lab, Dr. Han will be able to attach them to your implants, and you can leave our office with a comfortable, functional bite.
Contact Us for More Information
If you are missing most or all of your teeth, hybrid dentures can provide you with a wealth of important benefits. Contact our office online today or call (703) 429-0749 to set up a consultation with Dr. Han.